Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Making my craft space work for me

As most of you know from my previous post, I have recently added charm necklaces to my etsy shop. I am thrilled with how they turned out, and I really want to do my best to make my little shop successful. I am well aware that one of the secrets to a successful business is organization. That is why I decided to tweak my crafty space a bit to help make "charm necklacing" a smooth and fun process. And yes, I like to make up words..ha ha! Anyway, I recently got this little random wooden shelf thingy at a thrift shop for $2. I think it may have been used as a spice rack or something, not too sure.
I spray painted it white, but for some reason the inside would not take paint. On top of the no-paint-taking, there was a small hole in the back. This meant I had to get creative {YAY}.
Here she is folks!!! Book pages, turquoise, & a bird. IN LOVE! I painted the inside with turquoise acrylic craft paint (& it coated much better than the spray paint). Then I cut some book pages to size and modpodged them in place. I wanted it to look a little shabby chic and imperfect - just the way I like it.
I have these little clear plastic containers where I store all my charms, beads, & findings (aka clasps, etc). I typed out some cute labels, used scotch tape to apply them, and wallah! Organized :)
Some of the supplies I'm using are antique bronze ball chains. I wanted somewhere to put them where they wouldn't get all tangled, and I could see how many I had. Luckily, I had this old key holder laying around so I put it to good use in my "workshop."



This pretty box houses all of the paper cards that I use to package my necklaces. I'm trying to pre-print everything so I'll be all set when they start "flying out of my shop!" C'mon. Any minute now. They'll go flyin'. Wait for it. Wait for it. Hmmmm.
Here's my whole workspace with the left side pretty much dedicated to my new little obsession (disregard the disaster on my bulletin board, I find that chaos inspires me - ha ha).
That's about it. Now my space is organized, functional, and ready for me to SELL SELL SELL!!! Oh, and I wanted to share this beautiful canvas wall-hanging I got today at TJ Maxx. I got a free $10 coupon in the mail when I signed up for their rewards card, and this baby was on clearance for $15. I pretty much think I'm in love with it. HAPPY. SELL SELL SELL.

8 comments:

  1. hi ali- i love this project! what a cute and inspiring way to organize your craft area!
    i added your etsy mini to the blog, so check it out. let me know if it works for you- so excited!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Ali, What a cute craft area. You're inspiring me to get my craft-room organized and looking cutesy. . . Thanks for stopping by my blog and leaving your comment. I so appreciate it. Please do come back again. Hugs, Karie

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your shelf! It looks so shabby chic!! I'm love using book pages!

    ReplyDelete
  4. SO super cute! I need one of those shelves:) LOVE LOVE LOVE! Well done my very crafty and creative friend! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow Ali....Not only is it all organized, but it looks fabulous!! I know you will do great with your Etsy sales.....

    Take care,
    Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great find on the shelf!! And you made it look so cute!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Very cute, I just picked up a shelf thingy at my thrift store last week and haven't really decided what to do with it. i really like the idea of book pages on the inside. domesticdeadline.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love the space! And I have the same canvas bird print with two more matching prints that I found at my TJ Maxx. Funny enough, I have them in my craft space too :) Happy Crafting/selling!

    ReplyDelete

I think I'm a comment-a-holic :)