Saturday, May 21, 2011

Adventures in Sewing: Part 1

Ok. About five and a half years ago, my mom bought my sister a sewing machine (because she is a linen-a-holic. About every 2 weeks or so, she wanted a new duvet cover).


 My sweet mom thought this would help her addiction and make it easier on her wallet - the ability to make her own. Well, since we already had the machine, my mom and I decided to use it to make Noah's crib bedding before he was born. It was definitely an adventure but the end result was great.


 Then, we packed up the little machine and it was never to be heard of again. About 6 months ago, my cousin asked if she could borrow it for a while. No problem! I handed over the box from the garage and she was on her sewing way. BUT, BIG PROBLEM. When she opened the box to get started, the instruction manual, pedal, and power cord were missing. WHAT?? We must not have packed it back in the box those looooong 5 years ago. Boooooo. Now what? Well, my cousin ordered the manual on-line, and I went to a local sewing shop and bought a replacement pedal and cord. Grrrrrr. Definitely cheaper than buying a whole new machine, but still. Grrrr. Ok, now let's get sewing.      Wait.      I.don't.know. how.to.sew!! See, when we made Noah's crib bedding, my mom did most of the actual sewing and I "helped."  Grrrrrrr.
So, with my manual on hand, it was time to experiment. I had picked up some "Cars" fabric for Noah at Joann's in the remnant bin to make him a pillow case. Easy enough, right??

Noah got to help me push the pedal and was in heaven (....and as you can see from this picture, I neglected to remember that I needed to turn it inside out so the seams wouldn't show. Ooops.). Regardless of it not being perfect, my boy LOVES it and that's all that matters.

My next project was inspired by my friend Cassie. She has recently been making buntings out of vintage fabric (and since I'm a total copy cat, I had to give it a try). I found a vintage sheet at the thrift store for $.75. After washing it in scalding hot water, ha ha, I cut it in to triangles and gave it a whirl. Here is the debut of my first ever sewn bunting!!!


Isn't it pretty!!?? I took Cassie's suggestion and bought some packs of Bias Tape...it worked like a charm (well it would have if I could sew a straight line to save my life, ha ha).

There are a few areas that look like this, ha ha


and this.....

But, I plan to keep practicing until these little guys will be good enough to sell in my Etsy shop and at the flea market. We'll see how it goes :)

Happy Saturday!!!!

10 comments:

  1. You're off to a great start! And I love that your son is excited about helping out :) Just don't get discouraged, because it really does get easier the more you do. And I promise, eventually you will be able to sew in a straight line ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great job!! I asked for a sewing machine for Christmas a few years back because I would LOVE to be able to make my own things. I tried but I was easily discouraged. I need to get mine back out and try, try again!! I am so envious of people who can sew!! Love the bunting...keep it up!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are doing much better than me! I have my mom's old sewing machine and for some reason it has lime green thread and I don't know how to change it! I should try to order a manual online...what a genius idea!

    ReplyDelete
  4. it is soo cute! awesome job, friend! and noah is adorable, too!
    remind me that when i am out there, i'll drive... if you can't sew in a straight line, i don't know that i want to ride in a car with you. ;) kidding! it just takes time and practice... i find if i go somewhat fast and don't hesitate i do better- with the sewing maching, not the car.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think you're doing great, Ali! I love your first bunting! I'm still practicing those straight lines myself. Sewing is fun, isn't it! Noah is adorable and so happy! Hope you had a great Saturday.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm pretty impressed for your first go-round! And I love Noah's pillow!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Good for you!! Keep practicing and you will get it! The bunting looks awesome! If you have any questions I will do my best to answer :-) And what a cutie pie Noah is!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ali, I came to your wonderful blog through your comment at This Present Life (I'm with you, NO to Facebook!). I'll have to find a block of time to go through it and get "caught up"! I don't know how bloggers manage to post so frequently. I post just once a week (I have a food blog - Come on over; crafters have to eat too!), but it seems to take up a lot of my time! If I can get a break from cooking, I'll have to pull my sewing machine out of the closet and whip up one of your ideas!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Isn't copy catting what blogging is all about...LOL!

    You made a very good "cassie knock off"....

    You are going to laugh when you read my giveaway post tomorrow. A few comments I have thrown in are in regards to my lack of sewing skills.....

    Take care,
    Lisa

    ReplyDelete

I think I'm a comment-a-holic :)